The University of Washington’s eScience Institute will host a virtual workshop May 8 and 9, 2023. The purpose is to advance adoption of Machine Learning tools for geoscience applications. This work is a component of the NSF GeoSMART project.
The overall goals of the workshop are to begin preparations for a GeoSMART Hackweek to be held October 2023. Specific objectives include:
- identifying community needs: how are different geoscience communities using ML and where are the challenge points?
- create learning outcomes: given the community needs, what learning outcomes should inform our hackweek tutorial development?
- hackweek scoping: at what level should educational content be presented? What do participants need to know before arriving?
- technical infrastructure: what tools do we need to have in place for participants to effectively work with datasets?
- community building: what is our long-term (1-3 year) strategy for fostering a ML community of practices for the geosciences?
When: Monday and Tuesday, May 8 and 9, 2023, 9 AM to 11:30 AM Pacific.
Who: Researchers and educators with interest/experience in developing ML use cases and educational tools. Participation is by invitation from the organizing committee. The workshop will include about 25 people.
What: This will be a highly interactive workshop. Please arrive ready to share ideas and engage in conversation!
Where: virtually on Zoom.
Day 1: Defining community needs and exploring educational models.
|Welcome and Context-Setting (30 min)||Overview of the GeoSMART Project: curriculum + use cases + community building|
|Overview of ML learning needs in the geosciences (30 min)||Review of pre-event survey: what patterns are emerging? What ML roadblocks can we address through training and education? Disucssing our plan for the October 2023 Hackweek.|
|ML Use Cases (30 min)||Breakout Session: What ML Use Cases are you working on? Can we adapt these for use at the Hackweek?|
|BREAK (25 min)|
|Report-outs (30 min)||What ideas emerged in the breakouts? What tutorials need to be developed to support these use cases?|
|Wrap-up (15 min)||Summary and preparing for tomorrow!|
Day 2: Planning for GeoSMART hackweek
|Welcome and Recap (30 min)||Summary of the use cases we discussed: how do we transform these into projects at the hackweek?|
|Content development and Prototyping (45 min)||Begin shaping content: build project outline, define learning outcomes and skills needed to join the project.|
|Discussion (15 min)||What project development challenges are you running into? What is unclear?|
|BREAK (25 min)|
|ML Technical Tools (20 min)||Presentation on GeoWeaver and computational tools to support ML workflows (GPUs, Jupyter ecosystem, etc).|
|Invitation to the organizing team (20 min)||Overview of roles and schedule of activity for those who wish to engage in organizing the hackweek.|
|Wrap up and closing (10 min)|
For more information contact Nicoleta Cristea (email@example.com).