We strive to provide students with a living wage stipend while participating in the DSSG program. Nonetheless, we understand some students face circumstances that pose barriers to their participation and require additional financial support. For this reason, we are pleased to partner with the Micron Foundation this year to offer the Micron Opportunity Scholarship.
All Data Science for Social Good applicants are eligible to apply for the Micron Opportunity Scholarship. Certain populations historically or systematically face significant structural and financial barriers in accessing educational and professional development opportunities. Therefore, if requests for funding exceed the funds available, individuals from these membership groups may be given priority:
- Students from underrepresented minority groups in higher education, including African American/Black; Hispanic/Latinx; Native American/Alaskan Native; Native Hawaiian/Other Native Pacific Islander
- Students who are/were the first in their families to attend college or university
- Students with disabilities
- Students who are veterans
- Students who are caregivers (e.g. for dependent children or parents)
Applicants will be asked to describe their financial need and provide a budget for the funds requested. We anticipate that most awards will be in the range of $500-$2,000, but will consider amounts beyond this if circumstances warrant. Possible uses of opportunity scholarship funds include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment and supply costs related to participation in the program
- Housing costs related to participation in the program
- Childcare or other dependent care
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Disability accommodations beyond those typically provided by the UW Disability Services Office, such as off-campus accommodations (renting an accessible apartment, food/supplies for a service animal, etc.)
The process of applying for the Opportunity Scholarship is separate from the process of applying for admission to the DSSG program, and is entirely optional. When applying, you will be asked to provide a brief description of the circumstances that warrant additional funding and a budget breakdown detailing how the Micron Opportunity Scholarship funds would be spent. Please bear in mind that if you are selected for the award, we may only be able to partially cover your proposed budget.
We will begin reviewing Opportunity Scholarship applications and allocating funding on March 1st and the application will remain open until all of the funding is allocated or until the program begins, whichever comes first. Therefore, while you may apply for the Micron Opportunity Scholarship at any point up until the program begins, to guarantee consideration you should apply by February 28th, 2021.
We will not publicly announce the names of individuals receiving a Micron Opportunity Scholarship, but recipients may be asked to write a brief letter to the donor explaining how the award facilitated their participation in the DSSG program.
If you are applying to the DSSG program and are also interested in applying for the Micron Opportunity Scholarship, please complete this application form.