Our showcase event will start with UW faculty outlining the new courses they have developed for the Minor. We will then hear some student perspectives on their experiences studying data science at UW. Finally we will have breakout sessions for students in similar majors to learn more about pathways towards the Minor in their areas of interest, and for students to meet others in the Minor.
This event will be a fantastic opportunity to connect with the broader data science community on campus, and to learn more about the coursework, programs, careers and opportunities for undergraduates to engage with data science at UW. Light refreshments will be provided.
We look forward to seeing you there! Registration is now open!
Data Science Minor
3:00 – 3:30 Intro
- Prof Ben Marwick, Director of the Data Science Minor
- Prof Mark Richards, Provost of the University of Washington
- Prof Andrew Connolly, Associate Vice Provost for Data Science and eScience Institute Director
- Prof Ben Marwick gives an overview of the new data science minor
3:30 – 4:30 Research & Course highlights: 15 min each
- Prof Mia Bennett – Geography
- Prof LaShawnDa Pittman – American Ethnic Studies
- Prof Mario Juric – Astronomy
- Prof Anna Pruess – English
4:30 Prof Mark Richards, Provost of the University of Washington
4:30 – 5:00 Student experiences: 10 min
- Diana Davidson
- Stefan de Villiers
- Carmen Perena Cortes
5:00 – 6:00 Pathways to the Minor in three breakout rooms.
These are breakout sessions are for students in similar majors to learn more about pathways towards the Minor in their areas of interest, and for students to meet others in the Minor.