The 2020 UW Data Science Career Fair will be held on Monday, October 12 from noon to 4 p.m. virtually via the Brazen remote platform.
Students and Postdocs, please REGISTER HERE. A UW NetID is required for registration.
- 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.: Graduate Students and Postdocs only
- 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Undergraduates welcome
For Companies, please REGISTER HERE.
Multiple UW departments and programs are working together to create this opportunity for undergraduates, graduate students, and postdocs working in data science to connect with companies and research labs looking for permanent employees and summer interns in data science positions.
We held our first two events this week, and have found some best practices that we hope will make it a good experience for all. First, we have shortened the chat time to 10 minutes initially. The recruiter has the option to extend this by 2, 5, or 10 minutes. Recruiters determine if the chat will be text-based or video-based. Students may only be in on chat at a time. Recruiters may participate in up to 2 at a time. We found that trying to be in multiple chats, especially if they are video chats, does not make it a good experience. For the students who are end queue at the end of the event: their information will be shared with the company reps following the event.
How it works:
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What companies are coming?
- ANSWER: This information is available on the landing page for the event. Student registration link: https://app.brazenconnect.com/a/u-wash-cs/e/RlvgY
- Will all companies be available during the entire career fair, or only during certain times?
- ANSWER: Companies have not indicated that they will attend for a shortened period of time. Currently all are expected to be available the entire career fair. If this changes, we will be sure to send updates.
- Can I stand in line for multiple booths at once? If so, what does that process look like? Will I be notified when I’m close on the list? What if I’m in the middle of talking to a Recruiter?
- ANSWER: Yes, you can be in as many lines as you would like at a time. You would be connected to the first available representative in any of those lines that you’re waiting in. You do not receive notification until the rep is available and you’re connected in that line. If another line you were in became available while you were in the middle of another conversation, the system would skip over you and go onto the next person. Then once you were finished with your conversation, you would be able to chat with the next available representative.
- Can I be in a browser outside of the Brazen site and still keep my place in line?
- ANSWER: As long as you do not close out of the event in Brazen or anything, yes you can have other windows opened. This can impact bandwidth though, so I recommend during a chat closing out of other windows to ensure nothing is slowing down your internet connection.
- How do I know what companies have a line? Can I tell how many people are in line before me?
- ANSWER: From the lobby you can see the activity in the lobby that includes estimated wait time, number of representatives available and the number of people waiting to chat.
- What other info will be available besides the Company’s booth que?
- ANSWER: All information is created/provided by each company. They determine what content they provide, as well as opportunities available.
- Will the Recruiter’s contact info be provided/displayed, or do I need to ask for that?
- ANSWER: The students are not given the recruiter information automatically. The recruiter would have to provide that during the chat or in follow up.
- Will recruiters be issuing coding challenges virtually? If so, how does that work?
- ANSWER: The recruiters or reps are having 1:1 chats (reps can choose to enable video and/or audio) with students. They determine what will be covered during the allotted time. Please realize that recruiters are figuring out how best to do this in a virtual environment, too. They have already participated in other virtual recruiting events (most on this platform), and they will have figured out what works best.
- Are students able to queue up before the event begins?
- ANSWER: They are not able to get in line before the event starts. That said, as soon as they register they can also enter the event lobby to explore and get acquainted with the event.
5 Minute Virtual Event Video Guide (this is also on your landing page)
Here is a link to Brazen’s support for attendees.
Here is a link to Brazen’s FAQs.
Participating Companies (as of 24 Sept 2020)